Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Thrift Store Makeovers and My First Silhouette Cameo Project

It's cold outside and there isn't much happening in the yard sale or flea market world right now.
Which makes it a perfect time to stay warm inside working on projects.
 
 
 
 
  
 
Somehow I wound up with 5 old wood bread boxes in my project stash.
I'm not sure how or when it happened, but it did.
 
 

 
 
Two of the five bread boxes have been given makeovers so far.
Three more to go....stay tuned....they'll be making an appearance soon.
 
 
I can't forget the wood pedestal that I thought would be the perfect size
for a glass cheese dome cloche I already had.
 
Well it wasn't.
 
The glass dome was just barely too big for the opening.
(I won't even get into how I set up a router in the center of the pedestal and routed out a bigger opening so that the glass dome would fit.)
 
 
 
It took more work than I had anticipated, but in the end, the pedestal worked.
(after the whole router thing)
I sanded, painted, lightly distressed and sealed the pedestal,
then added the glass dome to complete it!
 
 
 
 
Now, back to the bread boxes.
 
The red one really wasn't that bad. It was just missing a knob.
Once it was painted, I added a vintage white porcelain knob that I already had and it was ready to go into my Etsy shop.
 
 
 
The other bread box needed a lot more help.
It had contact paper on the inside, the backing had gotten wet at some point and was not in good condition, the BREAD graphic on the glass was chipping off and it was just a little dated.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I took the backing, door and glass off of the bread box. The entire piece was cleaned, sanded, painted white and lightly distressed. I also cut a thin piece of wood and painted it white to make a new backing for it. The old graphics were cleaned off of the glass and I used my Silhouette Cameo to create a new vinyl graphic that says BREAD.
 
 
 
This was my first Silhouette Cameo project and I can't wait to do more!
 
The glass was reattached onto the inside of the door, the door was hinged back on, the new backing was tacked on and another bread box is checked off of my project list!
 
 
 
 This one is also listed in my Etsy shop.
 
I have another bread box almost identical to the white one.
What color should I make it?
I was actually thinking about red again. Maybe red is on my mind because of Valentine's Day?
 
Have you madeover any thrift store items lately or created something with a Silhouette machine?
I've been scouring Pinterest for Silhouette ideas now that I've, kindof, overcame my fear of using it.
 
 
'til next time,
post signature
 
 
 
Linking to:

5 comments:

  1. Love all these makeovers! That red is my favorite :)

    Blessings and stay warm!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherri. Red is definitely a favorite of mine too. We'll be using the fireplace a lot the next few days I'm sure.
      Adina

      Delete
  2. Don't you just love finding these great thrifty treasures and giving them new life! Love what you did with all of these - great finds! They caught my eye over at the From Dream to Reality Party.
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. Yes I do love finding things I can give new life too!

      Delete
  3. It is really enjoyable to visit your website because you have such an amazing writing style.
    You must visit our website, if you are looking for spiral diaries.

    ReplyDelete